Are you searching for the best home gym equipment on a budget? We’ve got you covered. The most practical, adaptable equipment that every good home gym should have been broken down in this section.
Everyone enjoys having a space to improve their physical and mental abilities, whether in their garage, basement, or bedroom. We’re here to dispel the myth that a home gym or garage gym must be expensive, which is sadly a common misconception.
You’d be surprised at how little it might cost to set up your home gym by gathering the best gear. More options are available than ever; even better, there are more options at even better price points.
6 Best Home Gym Equipment On A Budget
Here is the best affordable home gym to start working out at home on your schedule without going over budget.
1) Best Budget Dumbbells – Amazon Basics Rubber Encased Hex Dumbbell
Dumbbells are the most adaptable training equipment to increase your strength. A barbell is an excellent tool for lifting heavier objects, but it has limitations because it is large and bulky.
Dumbbells are ideal for your home gym because they allow you to perform any exercise with resistance. When performing floor-based exercises with these Amazon Basic Encased Dumbbells, you won’t have to worry about them rolling away because of the hex design preventing rolling.
These dumbbells are fixed weight, so they are less expensive and easier to fit into your budget, but as you gain strength over time, you will need to purchase more of them. Keep that in mind as you plan your spending, but if you only require a few smaller dumbbells, separately purchasing each will be much less expensive than purchasing adjustable ones.
- Hex design enhances stability and safety
- The knurled handlebar provides extra grip while training
- Rubber ends absorb impact and noise if you drop them
- As you gain strength, you will have to purchase heavier weights because they aren’t adjustable
2) Best Budget Resistance Bands – BodyBoss Boss Bands
Any good home gym should include resistance bands because they are inexpensive, adaptable, and valuable. Many options are available, but the BodyBoss Boss Bands are challenging to beat in value and quality.
These sturdy bands have clips on each end that you can attach to a handle, a stable surface, or anything else you need. Even the most vital users can feel the burn thanks to the two bands per set’s maximum resistance of 30 pounds each.
These bands are a great tool to warm up and get the blood pumping before a workout or provide a good burn. They are within most people’s budgets. They can be used to train almost any muscle in your body.
- Heavy-duty bands are sold in sets of two, and each band can provide resistance of up to 30 pounds
- The bands can be attached to almost anything thanks to the sturdy clips on either end.
- Luminous color choices
- A very flexible tool for any warm-up or training
- The bands don’t include handles, which some users may prefer
3) Best Budget Rowing Machine – Sunny Health & Fitness Upright Row-N-Ride
A rowing machine is a low-impact, efficient way to strengthen your back, arms, and core while increasing your endurance. While the Sunny Health & Fitness Row-N-Ride targets your upper body, the DB Method targets your lower body and glutes well.
You can perform a compound movement on this affordable rower, which means you can simultaneously work for several muscle groups. Utilizing the supplied resistance bands will help you take things to the next level, and the burn feels too easy.
When you’re not using the machine, folding up and storing is simple, thanks to the comfortable foot grips and padded handlebars.
However, a great workout that keeps you toned and targets multiple muscle groups is very effective, and the price fits almost any budget. Now, this low-impact machine probably won’t provide enough resistance for those looking to build significant muscle, but it’s very effective for that as well.
- Low-impact to maintain the comfort of your joints
- Resistance can be gradually increased thanks to the included resistance bands.
- It is simple to use and neatly folds up when not in use to save space
- Not enough resistance for those looking to build muscle
4) Best Budget Yoga Mat – GAIAM Yoga Mat
Without a yoga mat, no home gym is complete—and not just for yoga. After all, the last thing you need is to leave sweat stains on your home gym flooring while stretching or performing core exercises on the ground in your garage.
A yoga mat offers a soft cushion ideal for any exercises performed on the ground, protects your floor from sweat stains, and is very simple to clean and store when not in use.
The GAIAM yoga mat has several reversible, two-color options so you can flip it over if the mood strikes for a different color, and we love that it is latex-free. They are affordable and offer a comfortable surface for your upcoming workout. They are textured to prevent slipping.
- Premium quality, non-latex material
- Textured surface to minimize slipping
- Reversible colors mean each mat is two colors in one
- Includes a lifetime guarantee
- Although it’s a beautiful addition, this item can’t be used to supplement resistance or strength training; instead, it serves more as padding and protection for you and your property
5) Best Budget Bumper Plates – Fringe Sport Contrast Bumper Plates
The Fringe Sport Contrast Plates are the most cost-effective bumper plate option if you’re training with a barbell and need to add resistance as you get stronger.
These plates have particular characteristics that make them ideal for use at home. The virgin rubber is made to minimize plate damage while deadening bounce, removing any aggressive bouncing that might harm your surroundings in confined spaces. These are specifically made for garage and home gyms and are long-lasting.
The plates are also made thinner to add more weight to each end of the barbell while saving space when not in use.
Cost can always increase when purchasing weight plates because the materials are expensive, but Fringe Sport offers reasonably priced premium bumper plates.
- Virgin rubber is made solely for maximum tensile strength and minimal bounce
- Since they are thinner than regular plates, they don’t take up as much room
- The markings on the plates are legible and clear
- Weight plates are always an investment, so while these are the least expensive option, they are still not cheap
6) Best Budget Bench – REP Fitness FB-3000 Flat Bench
The REP Fitness FB-3000 flat bench can support up to 700 pounds of total weight and be made for heavy-duty use. It can withstand even the heaviest wear and tear because it is built to be durable enough for competitive powerlifters to use.
You can only train on a flat, non-adjustable bench with some limitations, but you get excellent quality for a fantastic price. If you’re on a tight budget, a flat bench will probably last longer than an adjustable bench because cheaper ones frequently have problems with the adjustment mechanisms breaking.
You won’t find a better deal for such a high-quality bench at this price point, this is definitely going to be the best budget bench you can get. It’s the ideal addition to improve your at-home strength training workouts.
- The bench only weighs 40 pounds, making it very light and easy to move around
- Designed to be used in powerlifting gyms as well as home gyms
- High-quality construction and durability
- The bench isn’t adjustable
- It can’t be set at an incline
Aspects To Consider When Buying Budget Home Gym Equipment
The most crucial factor you must consider when outfitting your home gym on a tight budget is price. However, “you get what you pay for” frequently applies to gym equipment. Therefore, choosing the cheapest option isn’t always a good idea because you might end up with a piece of equipment that is soon broken down or rendered useless. The reviews are always helpful to read. Consideration should be given to warranties and return policies.
Finding a versatile piece of equipment is like winning the lottery on a tight budget. It’s best if a single item has as many options as possible. A multipurpose addition to your home gym is an all-in-one machine. Compared to fixed dumbbells, which can only be used for a limited number of exercises, adjustable dumbbells allow you to change your weight as you gain strength without worrying about getting another set of dumbbells.
Type of Equipment
You should research and choose the type of fitness you will enjoy the most before making any purchases for your home gym. A good yoga mat and resistance bands are simple and affordable if a yoga practice appeals to you, while jump ropes make good inexpensive boxing accessories. The cost of much cardio-focused equipment, such as rowing machines, stationary bikes, and treadmills, is higher. As a result, before spending your money, you should think carefully about the equipment and your desire to use it.
If you’re on a tight budget, that doesn’t mean you have to settle for furniture that won’t last. Be sure to take durability into account before making a purchase. It doesn’t matter how cheap a piece of equipment is if it can’t withstand normal wear and tear for a reasonable period. You can learn much from the construction specifications, but you should also read the customer reviews. You can find others who have used the equipment you are considering buying here.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1) How much does a complete gym setup cost?
Depending on how much you’re looking for, this will vary greatly. For less than $500, you can get a bench and a set of adjustable dumbbells, all you need for a good workout.
The costs will rise if you decide to expand and buy a squat rack, barbells, bumper plates, cardio equipment, etc., but you can get the basic equipment very cheaply.
2) How much money should you spend on a home gym?
If money is tight, you can start with a few pieces of equipment for less than $500. Budget between $1,000 and $1,500 if you want something more comprehensive, like enough equipment to avoid regular gyms completely.
You can buy a bench, dumbbells, squat rack, barbells, and even some cardio equipment with that budget if you shop wisely.
With the right equipment, you can set up a home gym without spending thousands of dollars, which is an excellent investment in your health.
Determine your objectives and the type of training you’ll be doing, and you’ll be able to find something in our guide that suits your requirements.
You can also check the Top 5 Best Massage Guns For Athletes in 2023